Monday, February 15, 2016

Airport & Flight Must Haves

Even after years of travelling and visiting many countries Richard and I still get excited to go to the airport. There is an excitement and anticipation about counting down the minutes until taking off for a new adventure. I must admit, I even get excited to come home on the plane because it means I get to see our dog after many days of being away.

So what you pack and what you bring on your travels is largely determined by your destination. Richard and I both have a bad habit of travelling with a lot of luggage, but we are very aware of how high maintenance we can be. When it comes to our carry-ons we differ in what we bring with us, but we have it down to a science.

Richard travels with a backpack. This backpack is packed to the brim with:
  • Extra batteries
  • All cords/chargers for electronics kept neatly inside a pencil case
  • His Beats by Dr. Dre (noise cancelling headphones)
  • Samsung tablet (he watches a lot of movies and series during the flight)
  • SLR camera and underwater camera *
  • Gum
  • Pens
  • Travel itinerary folder (more on that in a later post)
  • Compression socks


* The one time we for some unknown unintelligent reason decided to pack our camera in our suitcase for our journey home, was when we lost our luggage. After much stress about losing all of our 1500 pictures from our month away, it was luckily returned to us. If you must put your camera in your luggage, take your memory card with you!

My carry on is a little lighter. Which speaks to the way I spend my time flying….reading and sleeping. I carry my things in an over the shoulder tote filled with:

  • 4 or more magazines (I often save 1 or 2 to read at the gym or poolside for the duration of your trip). Be aware: it is difficult to find English magazines in many destinations off the beaten path.
  • A book (I do not often even get to reading it because let’s face it there is so much more to be doing on vacation than reading)
  •  A sweater
  •  Compression socks (they keep my feet warm as well!)
  •  A pillow. Yes I bring my full pillow from my bed. Like I said I spend a lot of time sleeping on long flights so carrying it from airport to airport is worth it to me.
  • Airplane blanket (We got amazing ones when we flew first class one time)
  • 2 granola bars and a piece of fruit
  • Earphones
  • A clutch carrying my money and phone. I do not haul a large purse on my trip at all, so this tucks easily into my travel tote. 

Post a comment about your “must have” carry on items!

Manila to El Nido ITI flight
Photo: @conciergecouple





No comments:

Post a Comment