Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Would You Rather Collect Shot Glass or Magnets as Souvenirs?

Would You Rather Wednesday! 

Okay so when you go on a trip and have such an amazing time, you will do anything you can to take a little piece of that trip with you when you go home. Sure we take pictures, we have our experiences, but sometimes that is just not enough. So what do some of us do? Buy souvenirs as reminders of our trip that we will likely never do anything with ever. But rest assured you are not the only traveler out there doing this. According to an article by "First Research", in the U.S alone the revenue form souvenirs and novelty gifts is about $17 billion dollars. So if we know we shouldn't, but we do it anyway which is the lesser of  two evils: shot glasses or magnets?

Shot Glasses

I can hear the arguments for shot glasses right now: "at least I can use them", or "I can display them, and they are conversation starters", etc. Sure, you can use them when you are making cocktails. Sure, they likely are conversation starters. But they take up an awful lot of cupboard or shelf space. The displaying of shot glasses reminds me of a college house or dorm. However, I will never say never because I as well love reminders of my travels.

Magnets

Magnets clearly state the country or location you have visited. They can be smaller and are capable of being stored discreetly. I say capable of being stored discreetly, but most often you will see the multi-colored collection of magnets staring you straight in the face when you enter the kitchen. Richard is a magnet collector, and the truth is I do love that we have them. We always try to pick a magnet with a small image that directly reminds us of an experience we had. However, we just moved to a new home and I refuse to place them all over the fridge. It's unfortunate but they are currently sitting in a zip-loc bag until we find a suitable and low key way to display them. If you have any suggestions please pass them along. 

Our choice:

I would caution travelers to buy neither, but since I already discussed how even the most accomplished travelers purchases novelties, our final choice would be magnets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment