Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Would You Rather Food Poisoning While on Vacation or Bring Back Bed Bugs?

Would You Rather Wednesday!

Richard and I have had some experiences with food poisoning, but now that I think about it , it usually happens to me. Once when we were in the Dominican Republic, I was sick in bed for an evening after eating salad at the buffet. We had been warned not to eat any produce that may have been washed with local water, I did not listen. This was one of our first resorts ever, so let's just say it wasn't the swankiest place and there are much higher standards now.

In Bali I was sick in bed for 24 hours. I had to stay in the cool air conditioned room in the dark while Richard was out sightseeing. I had intense stomach pain and a small fever. The strange thing was, I think it was the North American, BLT I ate that may have caused the sickness. In the Philippines this past year I was bed ridden again. After a day out on a 7 island tour I fell quite ill again. Sleeping and cool air were the only things that made me feel slightly better. Could it have been the "fresh" fish that was barbecued for us on the boat trip? The all day sun? The waves rocking me side to side? Or the large amount of alcohol I consumed? It very well could have been a combination of all these things, or food poisoning. Although I do love vacationing, being sick is the only time I wish for my own bed and home.

We have luckily not seen, heard of, or "caught" bed bugs in any of the hotels we have stayed at. Maybe it is all the reviews we read on TripAdvisor that have saved us! We have had friends who slept on a boat overnight in Australia and woke up with little bites all over their bodies. Thats right....they confirmed it was bed bugs. Now bringing them home would be another whole nightmare. It makes me think of the chaos that used to ensue when me and my two sisters had head lice in elementary school. And that is just head lice!

Our pick: Food poisoning. It usually only lasts 24 hours, and if you are anything like us, your body probably needs those 24 hours of rest after too much partying, late nights, or jam packed schedules of sightseeing.


Puerto Vallarta Street Food
Photo: @conciergecouple

No comments:

Post a Comment