Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Would You Rather Dine Al Fresco With a Glass of White or Red Wine?

Would You Rather Wednesday!

I have mentioned many a times that Richard and I enjoy "beverages" on vacation. Years ago neither of us liked wine at all. Over the years we have warmed up to it, especially white. We have not yet developed the palette for red wine...but we are told it will happen with time.

White


My wine exposure started with white. There were (in order of introduction to my palette) the sparkling fruit wines, the Rieslings, the Pinot Grigio's and the Chardonnays. I am still not a fan of Chardonnay, but I do enjoy many Pinot Grigio's. Heck we even enjoy champagne. We have visited several wine countries: Napa Valley, Niagara on the Lake, Traverse City, Tuscany, etc. We have usually planned our tours so that we get to sample mostly whites. Below are some of our favorites and recommendations:


Napa Valley: Mumm Napa (sparkling white wine)

Niagara Falls, Canada: Between the Lines  (the Gewuerztraminer is amazing!)

Traverse City: Bonobo Winery (Pinot Gris was our fave). Beautiful seating area and patio to enjoy                            small plates as well. 

Bonobo Winery, Traverse City
Photo: @conciergecouple


Red


Red is a little to rich and deep for me. I have had some I have liked don't get me wrong, but nothing good enough to make me crave or order a glass. There was a few times in Spain that we managed to enjoy a glass of red. Well I should be more clear, a glass of red topped with...gasp...sparkling lemonade. Call it a spritzer, a crime to red wine, or a poor persons sangria. All I know is, it was delicious with our tapas as we enjoyed a delicious summer time meal in Madrid. The restaurant had a great ambiance and barrels as tables, along with an extensive wine menu. But when the waiter suggested "tinto de verano" we were sold! Don't knock it till you try it. 


Madrid, Spain
Photo: @conciergecouple

Our choice: 


White

We enjoy a chilled glass of white wine before or with dinner. It's light and easygoing...it embodies vacation!



No comments:

Post a Comment